The Stargate Eggbeater is a Persistence of Vision (POV) art project.
- A continuos strip of 142 LPD8806 RGB LEDs
- Each LED is digitally addressable like a monitor pixel
- 21-bit color depth (2,097,152 colors) per led.
- Because the Blue LEDs are much brighter than the Red and Green, the strip does not provide a true 21-bit color palette.
- The strip has only 4 wires: Power, Ground, Data and Clock
- The LED strip is mounted inside a ring/hoop of thick polyethylene tubing in a ring shape 59 inches in diameter.
- The poly tube-ring is mounted on a rod and bearing.
- The rod goes through a MOOG slip ring that allows the 4 conductors necessary to power the LED strip. (We actually have 4 or so extra conductors available).
- The rod is spun by a Bodine 1/4 HP DC Gearmotor, 250 RPM.
- The base is 28 inches tall
- Total height is 7.25 feet.
Images are loaded into the Raspberry Pi and a Spherical Persistence of Vision (POV) is created.
The curent videos really do not do the SGEB justice. Perhaps the shutter speed is too slow to properly show the effect. Working on some better videos.